An economy that works for everyone:
The American middle class has been shrinking for generations. Jobs are disappearing and purchasing power is in decline. This is no accident, but a direct result of failed policies that intentionally redistributed wealth from working families to the rich. The system is rigged. We must reverse this trend by:
• Ending tax cuts and loopholes for the wealthy and use that money to invest in education, training, and infrastructure to strengthen middle-class families.
• Making paid family and parental leave the law of the land.
• Raising the Federal minimum wage to $15 dollars an hour.
• Protecting the right of workers to organize.
• Expanding and safeguarding Social Security and Medicaid. Primarily - scrap the cap on Social Security earnings.
• Investing in infrastructure to repair and modernize California's roads, bridges, and transit hubs. This will also create more good paying, family sustaining jobs.
Women's Rights and Opportunity
I will unequivocally support a woman’s right to make her own reproductive and healthcare decisions through action by:
• Ending the Hyde Amendment.
• Fully funding Planned Parenthood.
• Preventing employers from disallowing birth control coverage in employee health plans.
Exposing and combating rape, harassment and domestic violence:
• Instituting a whistle-blower policy that requires every employer to contract with an independent hotline where employees can report harassment and other inappropriate behavior without fear of retribution
• Ending the so-called boyfriend loophole which allows domestic abusers to continue to purchase and carry guns every after a conviction and ending loopholes that enable convicted stalkers to buy guns
• Pressuring the department of education to re-implement Obama era rules protecting victims of campus sexual assault
• Protecting and funding programs under the violence against women act
Building an economy that works for everyone
• Supporting paid family and parental leave policies so that employees of all genders don’t have to choose between advancing their careers and caring for their families
• Championing the Paycheck Fairness Act and other measures to end the gender wage gap
• Finally passing the equal rights amendment to constitutionally codify women’s right to equal pay under the law.
As a global healthcare provider, Andy has seen every type of health care system imaginable, and he knows we can do better. We spend more money per person on healthcare than any other country on the planet, yet more people in America die due to a lack of care than in any other developed nation. He believes healthcare should be a right, not just a privilege for those who can afford it. To fix our healthcare crisis, we need to:
• Enact Medicare for All as soon as possible.
• Lower prescription drug prices and fight for prescription drug transparency.
• Protect the Affordable Care Act while building the Medicare for All system.
The debate is over: climate change is real and it’s man-made. We cannot deny our way into avoiding the effects of climate change but instead must take immediate and decisive action. This includes:
• Move away from dirty fossil fuels and toward local clean energy sources, which will not only slow the rate of climate change and the damage it causes but also create high paying jobs right here in orange county.
• Ban fracking and offshore drilling entirely
• Restore and maintain the Environmental Protection Agency, which has been gutted by the current administration
• Halt mining on Federal lands
• Preserve open spaces within our district such as Coyote Hills
• Offset the harmful effects of carbon emissions by implementing a cap and trade program or through a carbon tax
• Undo Trump's efforts to shrink our previously protected National Monuments
Big Money out of Politics
It’s hard to bring about change when the system is rigged against us. Many Americans are disillusioned by their inability to hear their voices reflected by their representation. That's why I don't accept any PAC contributions of any kind. To restore the promise of American democracy we must:
• Restore Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, making it more difficult for states to implement discriminatory voting laws.
• Get big money out of politics to reduce the influence of special interests and Washington insiders by working to overturn the disastrous Citizens United decision.
• Combat the myth of “voter fraud” being perpetuated by the Trump administration.
• Avoid gerrymandering by encouraging states to move to a bipartisan redistricting commission like we have here in California.
As a former teacher and a business owner, Andy knows that a quality education can equip young people with the tools they need to thrive in our society and our economy. To improve our education system and prepare our kids to enter the workforce, we need to:
• Provide 4 year tuition free public college
• Invest less in bureaucracy and more in local classrooms to ensure our students receive a world-class education that helps them compete in today's 21st-century economy
• Ease the burden of student loan debt by allowing students to refinance loans
• Make higher education more accessible and affordable for people of all socio-economic backgrounds
• Modernize local schools and colleges by increasing the use of technology in the classroom and making school buildings more green and energy efficient and safer for students to thrive -- all while creating good-paying jobs
In my campaign for Congress, I support the following legislation on firearms:
• A ban on assault weapons, bump fire stocks, and high capacity magazines.
• Ending the boyfriend loophole. Implementing mandatory universal background checks. This includes guns sold on the internet and transactions between private individuals. Closing the “Gun Show Loophole."
• A ban on gun sales to those on the no-fly list.
• Removing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ban on research into gun violence.
I am also opposed to the following legislation on firearms:
• HR 367, which will roll back some restrictions and simply place a $200 fee on purchasing silencers.
• HR 38, which would allow concealed-carry permit holders to travel across state lines with their guns and same concealed-carry provisions.
• The February decision from the House that rolled back an Obama Administration directive allowing designated mental health providers to report names of mentally ill patients to the federal background check system.
If elected to Congress you can trust that I will stand with you and fight for commonsense gun reform legislation.
Building an Inclusive Society
America’s strength is its diversity. In Congress, Andy will push for policies that take advantage of that strength and encourage opportunity and innovation. This includes:
• Compassionate immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship
• Protect young people with DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) by providing a path to citizenship
• Supporting full equality for LGBTQ Americans including laws that protect transgender Americans in the workforce, our schools, and the armed forces.